Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday, June 8th~God's Mercies after Suicide: Blessings Woven through a Mother's Heart~Becky and the Writing Project~Devotion & A Mother's Memories



Joshua, age four, with his bigwheel

“I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.”
—Psalm 6:6 KJV

“What you need is a big writing project, Jean.”

My friend Becky was determined to help me keep my mind occupied. First she gave me a Mother’s Day tea, and then she came up with another idea.

“Like what?” I said.

She took a deep breath on the other end of the phone. “I’ve decided we’re doing a children’s Bible stories book. You come up with the in-your-own-words stories. I’ll tie in with how the readers can apply each story to their lives.”

My shoulders no longer slumped, and my ears perked. “Really, Becky? We work on a book project together?” Becky had published hundreds of books in her career, and I would get to work and learn from her professionalism.

“Sure. We may even have a publisher that would be interested. Let’s start right away.”

The book project took several months. I loved every minute that Becky and I worked together. Her valuable time spent teaching me improved my writing skills. Even though the publisher decided not to publish the book, I will never forget the hours of time Becky took to keep me occupied when I felt I would drown in my bed of sorrow.

Lord God, You threw the lifeline, and I grabbed and hung on. I needed this project, and You knew it. You are always the healer. In Jesus’s name, I thank You. Amen.

A Mother’s Memories

Right when Joshua began to walk, he became interested in Bible stories before bedtime.

Wouldn’t you know his favorite was the one about David and Goliath? Often, after I read the story, Joshua would beg, “Read it, again, Mama.”

His siblings and I would settle in for another reading to bring that sought-out smile upon Joshua’s face.

After a story, and in the back of the book, there were questions to ask the children, to see if they grasped the story. We had great fun when Joshua would say, “I know, I know,” and give a silly answer like “banged the giant on the head.” Joshua would then smack his own forehead with his palm.

“Yes, Joshua, that happened, but you didn’t answer the question I asked.” His sister and brother broke out in a fit of giggles, and I smiled. Soon, though, Joshua would answer a question correctly, and before we knew it, he got them all right.

Father, what an adorable boy my son could be. So full of life. He loved to act out with many hand motions even at an early age. Thank You, Holy Father, for giving us this child. In Jesus’s holy name. Amen.
Reader Journal
~Your Mother Memories~
~Your Prayer of Praise~
~A Scripture of Encouragement~

No comments:

Post a Comment