Monday, July 20, 2015

Monday, July 20th~God's Mercies after Suicide: Blessings Woven through a Mother's Heart~A Mother's Memories



Joshua and his first girlfriend both in Kindergarten

 
“Mom!”
     
Joshua had walked home from afternoon kindergarten with his siblings. The way he hiked up his jeans, this conversation would be about his slip-sliding pants.
     
“What? And how was school today?”
     
His face scrunched in agony. “You’ve got to help me. This belt does keep these pants up.”
     
I sat on the couch and wiggled my finger for him to come to me. “Let’s see.” I stared hard at his waist. The child had no hips to hold up his britches. My mind churned in a plan. “What if I were to make your pants? I would custom-fit them to your build.”
     
His eyes lit up like stars. “That would be neat.”
     
We went material shopping and bought a pattern. I made a pair of denim slacks to fit him perfectly. He didn’t need a belt, but he wore one to look nicer for school. Joshua hugged me. “Thank you, Mom. No more pulling up my pants.”
     
Later, I bought several bigger-sized patterns of the same pant design to continue making Joshua’s slacks as he grew. I made his pants every year, until the summer before he entered sixth grade. He decided he was grown-up and wanted store-bought jeans like his friends had. I was a little sad that I wouldn’t be making his jeans anymore, but I understood. And yes, he still pulled up his pants even with a belt.

Those were happy moments for Joshua and me, dear Father. The relief on his face for wearing slacks that fit made it worth the extra work. In Jesus’s holy name. Amen.

Reader Journal
~Your Mother Memories~
~Your Prayer of Praise~
~A Scripture of Encouragement~

No comments:

Post a Comment