Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Wednesday, July 8th~God's Mercies after Suicide: Blessings Woven through a Mother's Heart~A Mother's Memories



Five-year-old Joshua holding his new stuffed animal


My husband said, “We have one more gift, Joshua, and can you guess who it’s for?”

Four-year-old Joshua pointed at his brother. “Jason.”

My husband laid the box at Joshua’s feet. “No. It’s for you, Son.”

Joshua’s eyes grew as large as marble shooters and just as brilliant.
     
“Open it, open it,” all of us sang.

Joshua ripped apart the candy-cane-design paper and looked inside. He sucked in his breath, and his face softened. “Ahhh,” he said.

His daddy touched his shoulder. “Sit down, and you can hold one.”

Joshua smothered his face into the guinea pig fur. “He’s so cute, Mom.”

“They’re both girls,” I said.

Much later, on a snowy January day, Jami squealed. “Mom, Mom, come see the guinea pigs.”

I ran from my bed-making job and stood over the box. “There are—what? Three, four, five of them,” I gasped.

Joshua held out his hands. “Can I hold a baby?”
     
“Not yet,” Jami interrupted, “they’re too small.”
     
He dropped his arms to his sides and said, “Okay.”
     
“That’s right,” I said. “Let’s leave them alone. We don’t want to upset the mama.”
     
Joshua’s next words made me laugh. “Do the babies drink their mama’s milk like I used to drink your milk?”
     
I grinned. “Yes, Son.”
     
He pursed his lips and smiled.
     
My thoughts went back to the pet store where we bought the parent guinea pigs. The clerk had assured me they were both females. I guess he was wrong.

Holy Father, what a wonderful memory for me to reconsider. Thank You for all the wonderful Christmases we shared as a family. In Jesus’s holy and beloved name. Amen.


Reader Journal
~Your Mother Memories~
~Your Prayer of Praise~
~A Scripture of Encouragement~

No comments:

Post a Comment